Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Gold Fever!!

You can't expect to be in gold country and NOT experience mining!  We just had to have Grandpa show us the ropes.  We did some metal detecting and panning.  The kids thought it was pretty exciting!

Grandpa took us across the river where there was an old mining camp back in the late 1800's. It was a really fun place to go metal detecting, if you watch out for the poison oak and bear poop!


This was an old foundation of a cabin.  You can't tell from the picture but part of the front door is laying on the ground in front of the entry.

Aaron found the only treasure of the day, a really old bottle with the cork still inside.


Grandpa detecting an old foundation.  He thinks it was a bunk house since the size is larger than the others surrounding it.  There are still remnants of the wood stove and other kitchen items.



Panning at Indian Creek...


Breaking up the rock to get under the bedrock.


Brushing the dirt into the cup to pan out.

Panning out the dirt, only to find a few flakes.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for finally updating your blog, Shari. It looks like your family had a lot of fun. I love the way your family seems to play while they work and work while they play. People like that are good.

    The pics you posted make me homesick though. We should plan simultaneous trips out there to see our families. Then I can show you around and tell all the indians to stop glaring at you. We're planning to go out there next summer when my little sisters graduate (one high school, one college). That would be fun.

    I'll stop rambling and just tell you that your posts are great. Keep on truckin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right, you're from there! I know how you feel...everytime I arrive and first step out of the car I have to take a huge deep breath and take in all the fresh air. I miss that. You better post your pics of your trip then I can be homesick :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello friend! Sorry that I missed your call. If I would have looked at Caller ID I probably would have recognized Shelley's name. -I think we were gone though. Hope you are having fun. Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shari! Since I don't have your email, I hope you will get my note through your blog. Thanks so much for the kind words you shared on my blog post about not feeling I was "good enough." The words in Ether 12 are excellent ones to reflect on. It is actually pretty amazing to think that our weaknesses can actually lead to growth and much goodness as we work to make them strong. I like how you mentioned that the weaknesses won't necessarily be taken away- they are a part of us. I can certainly see how good it will feel to be able to conquer one's weakness- to have a greater amount of control over it. Thanks again for taking the time to lend your thoughts and experience. Clair

    ReplyDelete